Sometimes great marriages are made in the kitchen. Such was the case with this creamy potato salad when we introduced my egg salad to Jenifer’s potato salad. A match made in heaven!
—From My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking by John Besh/Andrews McMeel Publishing
|Prep Time:||25 minutes|
|Cook Time:||45 minutes|
|Total Time:||1 hour and 10 minutes|
- 5–7 Yukon Gold potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the potatoes in a large heavy-bottomed pot and add salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a paring knife to remove the skin. Roughly chop the potatoes into bite-size pieces.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, cover, and immediately remove from the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 5–7 minutes, then remove the lid and place the pot in the sink under the cold water faucet. Let the water run until the eggs have cooled enough to handle. Peel and roughly chop the eggs.
3. For the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, relish, and mustard in a medium bowl until well combined. Add the onions, celery, green onions, and garlic and stir well.
4. Combine the potatoes and eggs in a large serving bowl. Add the dressing and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.